Are renovations/improvements made to my primary home tax deductible?
Unfortunately, renovations made to your primary home are not usually deductible for tax purposes. However, you can still benefit tax-wise from renovations in certain instances. See below for some examples:
- If you pay for the renovations using your home loan, the resulting interest paid on that loan may be deductible (this is not the case in all circumstances...check with your tax advisor on your specific situation)
- If the renovations qualify as medical expenses, they may be deductible (i.e. - exit ramps, bathroom modifications with handicap handles, cabinet lowering, door widening, etc...generally items that make a home wheelchair accessible)
- If the renovations are to install qualified energy items, they may be eligible for energy tax credits (i.e. - geothermal heat pumps, solar water heaters, solar panels, etc.)
- If the renovations increase the value of your home, they may save capital gains tax at the time you sell (i.e. - renovations increase cost basis, which reduces taxable profit...although most primary homes qualify for the capital gains exclusion of $250k or $500k in profits)
- If the renovations are made to your home office used in business, they may have tax benefits
Otherwise, renovations and improvements on primary homes are not inherently & automatically tax deductible. The story is different for rental/investment properties.
Feel free to contact us with any questions...we’re here to help!
© 2023 Peshke Financial Inc., all rights reserved. NMLS #2244878. DRE #02210589. "Making Finances Simple. Changing Lives." is a pending trademark with USPTO. Material contained in this website is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be construed as direct financial advice for your specific situation. It is recommended that you consult with your own advisors for any personalized financial guidance. Since we’re not licensed attorneys, we cannot provide legal advice. As such, any info contained in this website should not be construed as direct legal advice. Individual Licensure (see profiles) - click here. Send Docs Securely - click here.